Strategy, Planning and Management of an Enterprise Data Management and Reporting Program
This organization is a non-profit, academic medical center encompassing Hospital, Health Center and Medical University. As part of a program to implement a new, enterprise-wide ERP application (EPIC) and re-design the antiquated data warehouse and reporting applications, this health care organization faced multiple challenges.
Their current reporting and analytical environment presented many limitations and constraints in meeting the challenge. The redesign of the current DW/BI environment had to be coordinated with the implementation of EPIC which had its own reporting requirements and was highly dependent on the successful redesign and rebuild of the DW/BI applications.
The key success criteria included:
- Appropriate end user self-service
- Adherence to HIPPA regulations
- Standards for report templates and data presentation
- On-line/paper-less reporting
- Enterprise reporting strategy and tool
- Fewer custom-developed reports
- Report library catalog (user documentation)
- Reliable, accurate, timely data available to meet end user requirements
- Meaningful integration of data to meet end user needs across all areas
- IT support for complex reports and analytics
Methodology and Solution
Consultants from CBIG were selected to assist the organization’s project team in the overall planning, strategy and management of the project. This included defining the workplans, business and technical requirements, overseeing the design of the ETL, Data and Application architectures and management of the project.
Roles and responsibilities included:
- Education on data warehousing best of breed tools, techniques and architectures while developing an enterprise strategy and implementation plan;
- Identification and recommendations of a data warehouse scope, data architecture and technical architecture;
- Developed a data warehouse information requirements to meet the goals of the enterprise and the pilot;
- Assisted in development of the conceptual, logical and physical data bases;
- High-level design and review of the data extract, load and transform procedures and programs;
- Performed the upgrade of Business Objects to XI R2
- Facilitated the creation of a User Group and Advisory Board, and and created an implementation and roll-out plan.
Over a two year project span with multiple iterative releases, the implementation of EPIC reporting and the new DW/BI environments were successfully implemented on-time.
- Business Objects
- Crystal Reports